This school was named in the honor of General Billy Mitchell, the most famous figure in American airpower history. Mitchell School was completed in 1957 and was the first completely new elementary school built since 1929. The building was designed in the form of a hub, with all the common areas located near the center of the building for ease of access by all classrooms. The school had one addition, constructed in 1965. Mitchell School has an enrollment of about 415 students with 22 classrooms.